Panacur is an FDA-approved brand name oral medication used for deworming. The primary ingredient is fenbendazole. Panacur for dogs is not effective for treating Dipylidium tapeworms, but instead is used to treat infections of hookworm, whipworm, roundworm, and Taenia tapeworms. It can also be effective as an off-label treatment in the United States of giardia and lungworm. Do not give this medication to cats: It is strictly for use in dogs.
Panacur for dogs is available by prescription from your veterinarian. Panacur C is available over the counter (OTC) without a prescription, and includes the same active ingredient.
Medication Appearance and Dosage
This medication is an oral dewormer, and can be purchased as granules or in a suspension (liquid). It is best to talk with your veterinarian about the correct dosage, as using an incorrect dosage can harm your dog and cause parasite reinfestation. The correct dosage will include consideration for your dog's overall health, medical condition (if any), and the specific parasite infestation being targeted.
Standard Dosage Using Granules
The standard dosage in granules is 50 mg/kg (22.7 mg/lb) daily for three consecutive days. Mix the medication with a small amount of your dog's regular food. Moisten dry food a bit and mix together. Be sure your dog consumes all of the medicated food.
Standard Dosage Using Suspension
Standard dosages of this medication in suspension (liquid) form are primarily determined by your dog's weight. The general recommended dosage is 1 ml per 2.2 pounds in bodyweight as a single oral dose once a day for three consecutive days, equal to 100 mg Fenbendazole/pounds bodyweight. For dogs weighing in excess of 140 pounds, add an extra ml for every additional 2.2 pounds. For puppies and for pregnant dogs, please consult your veterinarian. This medication should not be used for very young puppies less than six weeks old.
A Note About Using Paste
This medication is available in paste form in the United Kingdom and Canada. In the United States, the paste is available specifically for use in horses. However, sometimes the paste may be used for dogs. Be sure to check with your veterinarian first to assure your dog receives the proper dosage.
Although this medication is generally considered to be one of the safest deworming choices available, it is possible that your dog may experience an allergic reaction to the actual dying parasites rather than to the medication itself. Symptoms of an allergic reaction can include hives and facial swelling, itchiness, vomiting and diarrhea, seizures, shock, pale gums, cold limbs, and coma. The active ingredient specifically targets parasite body tissue and usually ignores dog body tissue. The dead parasites are then digested and passed in your dog's stool.